Our belief is based on core biblical truths we call the 22 tenets of faith. We believe in The Holy Scripture, The Plan of Redemption, The Baptism of the Holy Spirit, Heaven, Tithe and Offering, Moderation, Divine Healing, Civil Government and lots of other amazing truths.
TOPIC: KNOWING GOD’S WILL
Romans 12:1-2; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8; 5:18
FACILITATOR: SISTER DAYO EHIMWENMA
Our God is a God of purpose who wants relationship with the people He created. As we faithfully follow the foundational principles of being committed to Christ as revealed in the scripture, God begins to reveal the specifics of His will for our lives.
The word ‘will’ in the context of our study means what one wishes or has determined to happen. God’s will therefore, refers to His wish, plan or purpose. The will of God can be understood as:
- God’s will of decree or His sovereign will. This refers to God’s sovereign governance or control of all things. This always comes to pass; it cannot be broken. For instance, Jesus, at some point wished that the cup would pass from Him but nevertheless, asked that the will of the Father be done. Why? Because His death on the cross was the sovereign plan or will of God that it must happen – Matthew 26:39. This was also echoed in Acts 4:27-28. Genesis 8:22 is another example of God’s sovereign will. He has decreed seed time and harvest time and no one can alter that. Also see Daniel 4:35.
- The second aspect of God’s will in the Bible is His will of command. This refers to what God commands us to do as His children which we can choose to obey and do or disobey and fail to do. There are of course, consequences of such choices. This therefore, forms the basis of the charge to believers to know God’s will and to do same.
KNOWING GOD’S WILL – 2 Tim 3:16-17; Psalm 119:9, 105
We must seek to know God’s will or purpose for our lives in order to live a purposeful and fulfilling life to His glory. God’s will is revealed with authority in the Bible. We need a renewed mind to understand and embrace what God commands in the scripture – Psalm 51:10. A heart that is not regenerated will twist or distort the word of God to suit his or her purpose.
SOME REVEALED WILL OF GOD IN THE BIBLE
- That all men be saved – 1 Tim 2:14; Mark 16:15; 2 Pet 3:9; John 3:16; Rev 22:17
- To love God with all our hearts and our neighbors also. Matthew 22:37-40; John 15:9-11
- Be sexually pure – 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8
- Give thank always – 1 Thess 5:18
- Be filled with the Holy Spirit – Eph 5:17-18
- Not to be conformed to the world but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds – Rom 12:2
It is one thing to know God’s will and another to rightly apply the biblical truth to situations that may or may not be expressly addressed in the Bible. For instance, the Bible does not tell us specifically who to marry, where to own your home, what car to drive etc. What is necessary is a renewed mind that is so shaped by the revealed will of God in the Bible that we are able to discern what God is calling us to do at a particular time. We need the new birth in Christ and the leading of the Holy Spirit to know the truth and to apply it.
PASTOR’S CORNER …
- Online Sunday Worship Service 8am-9am. Broadcast on the Lakeview Church App and through the Lakeview Facebook page
Mid Week:– Tuesday: Bible Studies: 6-7pm– Thursday: Praise and Prayer Service: 6-7pm
Saturdays:– Sunday School: 6-7pm
- We find favor in the eyes of God our Father and we grow in favor and good repute with God and with men in Jesus Name.
- God takes notice of us and our home, family, church, nation, situation and circumstances are blessed of the Lord. We are blessed and we are a blessing.
- The Lord is gracious and compassionate to us and we dwell continually in His presence all the days of our life.
- The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the sweet fellowship of the Holy Spirit dwells with us now and forever more in Jesus Name. Amen.